Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Manager - Hermiston, OR
Clayton Homes, a Berkshire Hathaway company and the nation’s leading housing provider, is a vertically integrated housing company that builds, sells, and insures affordable housing. Our commitment to creating a World Class Customer Experience is unparalleled in the housing industry and we believe it begins with a World Class Team Member Experience. From entry-level to more experienced positions, we’re actively recruiting individuals who are passionate, positive, and eager to learn. We then equip you for success, whether you’re in the office, in the field, or on the floor. As a member of our team you’ll enjoy excellent benefits, opportunities for growth, and an encouraging culture that supports work / life balance.
The Home Building Group is actively searching for an EHS Manager to join the team at our Hermiston, OR facility.
Position is accountable for the environmental,health and safety functions for the manufacturing location. Implements and ensures compliance with environmentaland safety training activities and programs intended to create a safe andhealthful workplace. Use proven methods for identifying and eliminating hazardsand reducing accidents as well as reducing the business impact on theenvironment. Influences plant GM, PM, AreaCoordinators, Team Leaders and Team Members to improve plants environmentaland safety efforts. Works with HomeOffice management with respect to environmental and safety training programs asrequired. Monitors and maintainsenvironmental, safety and health programs for plant team members.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- General understanding and knowledge of federal, state, local, and company regulations and standards applicable to environmental protection agency (EPA) and occupational health and safety (OSHA) practices and programs and state worker s compensations system.
- Great people/leadership skills a must!
- Presentation Skills.
- Microsoft Office, Excel, and PowerPoint Skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain all record keeping and conduct activities necessary for environmental compliance (monthly material usage record keeping, storm water, air permitting, etc).
- Walk through with environmental consultant (STRATA) personnel during scheduled visits. Complete Annual Storm water and other required training.
- Champion the ISO certification/surveillance efforts to include leading EHS Committee and participating in Objectives and Targets Team Meetings
- Lead the ISO Coordinator and when not available conduct their duties (see Environmental/ISO Coordinator job description.
- Champion the team s health efforts by working with wellness coordinator to promote good eating habits, physical fitness and mental health.
- Set a great example for the team by continuing to improve one s personal wellness.
Safety/ Workers Compensation
- Conduct and complete Injury and Illness report with injured team member, Area Coordinator and Team Leader or Manager after completing thorough accident investigation.
- Ensure post-accident drug screens are completed as required.
- Call in, fax or e-mail First Report of Injury to Broadspire within 24-hours of accident, or sooner.
- Act as worker s compensation liaison and participate in quarterly reviews of loss runs. Complete and maintain OSHA 300 Log record keeping.
- Administer the company s Return-to-Work program including the transitional employment teams.
- Report to Home Office EHS Director monthly reporting numbers; (OSHA entries for previous month, Lost Time Accident and OSHA streaks in number of days).
- Administer the workers compensation program, which includes working with the company s insurance carrier to reduce lost time and fraudulent claims, case management and communications with team members.
- Maintain active involvement in teams safety committee functions by coordinating monthly meetings and inspections, ensuring recording of minutes, and coordination of changes based on committee feedback and inspection results.
- Walk through with property carrier loss control personnel during scheduled visits. Provide written plan of action within 30 days to property carrier representative and Home Office EHS Director.
- Walk through with Fortier loss control personnel during scheduled visits and complete all corrective actions within 30-days or less.
- Conduct regular safety meetings with area coordinators and team leaders to review and discuss each group s accidents and injuries.Identify ways to prevent reoccurrence of accidents by reengineering, changingthe process or providing personal protective equipment.
- Conduct facility inspections to detect existing or potential safety hazards and make recommendations regarding corrective or preventive measures to management.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable OSHA standards and regulations such as Hazard Communication, Lockout/Tag out, Blood borne Pathogens, Hearing Conservation, Emergency Evacuation Plans, etc. utilizing the Home Office EHS Director as a resource.
- Ensure compliance with company and home building facility policies and procedures relating to Scissor Lifts, Fall Protection, Line Roll, Hitch Lock, Hot Works, Suspended Loads, Saw Safety, etc. utilizing the Home Office EHS Director as a resource.
- Participate in and follow-up on the investigation of work-related injuries/illnesses, on-the-job accidents, or near misses as required.
- Complete Near Miss and/or Lost Time Accident Case studies and send to Home Office EHS Director.
- Administer Hearing Conservation Program.
- Conduct annual Job Hazard Analysis and provide feedback to all affected teams.
- Ensure team members who are First Responders are trained in First Aid, CPR and AED; and are certified by State and Federal laws as required.
- Maintain current MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) master binder. Provide individual binders for the designated teams in manufacturing facility.
- Develop and conduct required OSHA training programs on plant work practices, safety precautions and procedures as required.
- Safety and Health Manual requires updating, ensuring procedures are consistent with written programs. Make necessary changes as needed and keep team informed.
- Maintain team member records for all completed safety training.
- Develop and conduct safety training as required by State and Federal law, regulations, etc.
- Ensure all forklift, tractor and other associated powered industrial truck operators are effectively trained and licensed to operate safely as required by OSHA and applicable State and Federal laws.
- Conduct effective New Hire Orientation safety training.
- Depending on the facility, may need the ability to speak, understand, and write proficiently in the Spanish language.
- Participate in on- and off-site training activities as requested by/through the General Manager and/or Home Office EHS Director.
- Keep all required postings, Company, State and Federal up to date and visible to team members on bulletin boards and in the Lunch Room as required.
400 W. WEST ELM
HERMISTON, Oregon, 97838